A grill pan is a prime choice if you’re looking for a more convenient way to cook your favorite foods indoors without sacrificing those coveted grill marks. There are several different sizes and brands to choose from, along with pans of various prices.
Depending on your needs, you may opt for a heavy-duty cast iron pan or a lighter weight one that comes pre-seasoned. There are also double grills that provide ample cooking space for larger quantities of food.
- Internet’s Best Stainless Steel Grill Wok | Grill Basket Skillet Smoker Cookware | Diced Meat, Vegetables, Barbeque Fish Pan
- Calphalon 1948254 Signature Hard Anodized Nonstick Grill Pan, 12″, Black
- Lodge P12SGR3 Pro-Logic Cast Iron Square Grill Pan, Pre-Seasoned, 12-inch
- Cuisinart 630-30 Chef’s Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Round Grill Pan
- Elite Gourmet EMG-980B Maxi-Matic 14-Inch Electric Indoor Grill, Black
- Lodge ECSGP43 Enameled Cast Iron Square Grill Pan, 10-inch, Island Spice Red
- Weber 6415 Small 7-1/2-Inch-by-5-inch Aluminum Drip Pans, Set of 10
- WaxonWare 11 Inch Non Stick Deep Square Grill Pan & Griddle With Marbellous (A 100% PFOA Free Coating Made In Germany)- For Steak, BBQ, Chicken, Fish, & Meat
- Vremi Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Square Grill Pan – 11 inch Nonstick Stove Top Grilling Pan for Oven and Vegetables – Silicone Handle Cover – Heavy Duty Cast Iron Grill Pans for Electric or Gas Stove Tops
- All-Clad E7954064 HA1 Hard Anodized Nonstick Dishwasher Safe PFOA Free Square Grill Cookware, 11″, Black
- Happycall Nonstick Double Pan, Omelette Pan, Flip Pan, Square, Dishwasher Safe, PFOA-free, Red (Jumbo Grill, 3″H)
- Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 10-1/4-Inch Square Skillet Grill, Cerise (Cherry Red)
- Weber Style 6435 Professional-Grade Grill Pan
- Anolon Advanced Bronze Hard Anodized Nonstick 11-Inch Deep Square Grill Pan with Pour Spouts
- TeChef – Stovetop Korean BBQ Non-Stick Grill Pan with Teflon Select Non-Stick Coating (PFOA Free) / DuPont Print Designs Technology
- Lodge L8GP3 Cast Iron Grill Pan, 10.25-inch
- Lodge LPGI3 Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle, 20-inch x 10.44-inch, Black
- Microhearth Grill Pan for Microwave Cooking, Red
- Tiger Corporation CPK-D13U W Electric Grill Pan with 2-Way Style Pans
- Pizza Grill Pan w Removable Handle- Non-Stick Grilling Pan with Holes and Extra High Walls – Use for Vegetables, Seafood, Shish Kebab
- GOTHAM STEEL 10.5-inch Non-Stick Grill Pan with Ti-Cerama Surface, Copper
- Nordic Ware Toaster Oven 2-Piece Broiler Set
- Staub American Square Grill, Black Matte, 10 – Black Matte
- Zelancio Cookware Enameled Cast Iron Grill Pan – Square 10 Inch Pan is Perfect for Steak, Grilled Cheese, Panini’s and more (Teal)
- IMUSA USA GAU-80102 Large Electric Panini Press 1400-Watts, Silver
- Circulon Contempo Hard Anodized Nonstick 11-1/4-Inch Deep Round Grill Pan
- Zelancio Cookware Enameled Cast Iron Grill Pan – Square 10 Inch Pan is Perfect for Steak, Grilled Cheese, Panini’s and more (Cayenne Red)
- EurKitchen Pre-Seasoned Two-Sided Cast Iron Pizza, Griddle and Grill Pan w/ Reinforced Handles – 13.5-inch – Perfect for Use on an Electric, Gas or Induction Stovetop, BBQ, or Oven
- GreenPan Padova 11″ Ceramic Non-Stick Round Grill Pan with 2 Side Handles, Light Blue
- OXO Good Grips Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Pro 11″ Square Grillpan
- Staub Pure Grill, Graphite Grey, 10 – Graphite Grey
- Rachael Ray Cucina Hard-Anodized Nonstick 11-Inch Deep Square Grill Pan, Gray with Cranberry Red Handle
- Utopia Kitchen Reversible Cast Iron Grill Griddle, 17 x 10 inch
- Lodge L8SGP3 Cast Iron Square Grill Pan, Pre-Seasoned, 10.5-inch
- T-fal A85713 Specialty Nonstick Grilled Cheese Griddle Cookware, 10.25-Inch, Black
In the market for a grill pan? Here’s what to look for while you shop:
Handle: The longer the handle, the less hot it will be, although a longer handle also adds weight and bulk to a heavy pan (like cast iron). A “helper handle,” usually a loop or a tab opposite the long handle, can assist in lifting heavy pans.
Body: Cast iron is an ideal material for a grill pan—it does an ace job of retaining heat at high temperatures. Stainless steel or anodized aluminum make for a lighter-weight pan, one that heats well, but doesn’t hold those hot temperatures quite as well. Grill pans can be found in square or round shapes, or in rectangular shapes that fit over two burners.
Cooking Surface: Cast-iron pans will either be preseasoned or coated with enamel. The seasoned interior will last longer, as it can be reseasoned and the patina will increase over time, but the enamel coating typically gives better release and is easier to clean.
If choosing stainless, be aware that uncoated stainless grill pans are difficult to clean, as the oil often scorches onto the pan in the grooves between the ridges. In stainless or aluminum, opt for easy-to-clean nonstick coating instead, but be aware you might not get the pronounced, caramelized grill marks you’re seeking.
Exterior: Many cast iron pans have an enamel exterior that makes them easy to clean and adds a lovely pop of color to your kitchen.
Round or Square? Though most standard skillets are round, we’ve noticed that most grill pans are square. Since grilled food needs to be cooked in a single layer (unlike, say, a stir-fry), the square shape is an advantage as it offers more surface area (a 10-inch round grill pan has around 78.5 square inches of surface, while the same diameter square pan has 100 square inches of room).
And since many grill pans are made of heat-conductive cast iron, even the corners further from the heat source will maintain their heat.